Libertine's Kiss

Libertine's Kiss - Judith James

In a world of books today that are so poorly edited, I give this book major stars just for being well-written. Which is sad because that should not really be a consideration. I blame the current trend in very poorly edited new adult POS books.

I did have a couple of little personal conflicts. The main character immediately reminded this English monarchy nerd quite a bit of a poet from Charles II reign, John Wilmot. As the book went on the MC became more and more like this real life Earl. In the end, I see the character was "shaped" after the poet I was thinking of all along. Now, again, me being cuckoo for English puffs, it really took away from the story because - historically speaking - I did not like John Wilmot at all. He was a satirical poet who died of VD at like 30 or something. He was too vain and selfish to ever love anyone. And besides, VD grosses me out.

ANYWAY - my point? Crap, I had one... got sidetracked, being all pissed off at John Wilmot again. Oh yeah, it totally made me not like the MC of this book. Which is sad because William (our hero) was quite lovely at times and the book had a very happy ending.

HOWEVER - it really should not have. There is a point in the book where Elizabeth is down to her last bit and will not make it through winter. She has an offer from a very respectable, nice, decent Captain Nichols. But she turns him down. It didn't make sense. There was too big of a gap and the girl was near complete destitution. She hadn't seen William in years. It was 1661 for Christ's sake. She would have took the security. If not for herself, then for the three elderly staff she had with her (in their 60s).

OK OK.. the book was really good and if you are a fan of that time in history but do not know who John Wilmot is, or maybe you are a fan of his, then you will love the book. In all of English history, the years leading up to and immediately following Charles II recapture of the throne (from the Civil War and stupid Cromwell and the whole Restoration period) are some of my least favorite in history. So, on a personal level, I was not a fan.

Now I'm just being wordy. Because it was so well written, I am actually looking forward to the other book in the series: The King's Courtesan.

Summary: Haunted by his past, hardened by the recent civil war, Captain Robert Nichols lives only for revenge. When told he must marry the king’s courtesan to provide a cover for their affair, he’s faced with a new low. Both are pawns of a great man, but married to their dreams of independence, their clash is inevitable.

Yes... it's our lovely Captain that the heroine in book one refused. I loved him when he made his minor appearances in book one and I'm hopeful that I'll love him here. Although, the female lead and the King may piss me off. *crosses fingers*

Wish me luck! I have so much emotional conflict in this historical period. To love? To hate? To wring someone's neck. What's a girl to do?